Work is hard, retirement should be easy. Attend an SBCERA seminar to start planning now.
At SBCERA, we support our members from the start of their careers through retirement. Below are the various seminars we currently offer our members and participating plan sponsors to help you prepare for retirement. Need more information about these seminars? Call us at (909) 885-7980 or email us at Communications@SBCERA.org.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: All of the 2013 Mid-Career Retirement Planning Seminars are now full. However, SBCERA is still accepting member reservations for the waiting list. Watch for other upcoming SBCERA seminar opportunities or consider hosting a seminar at your department or location.
To sign up for the waiting list, please email us at Communications@SBCERA.org with your Name, Seminar Date, and the last 4-digits of your Social Security Number. Please be sure to include whether you wish to bring a guest.
It’s never too early to start planning for retirement. Whether you are 5, 10, or 20 years away from retirement, SBCERA encourages its members to stay informed about their retirement benefits throughout their careers.
Attend a Mid-Career Retirement Planning Seminar to learn about the benefits and opportunities SBCERA offers you while you are employed, at retirement, and beyond including:
- When to Retire: Find out when you become eligible for retirement and how to optimize your retirement by choosing the right retirement date.
- Estimating Your Future Benefit: Identify the factors used to determine your future SBCERA retirement benefit and ways to create or receive your own benefit estimates.
- Death Benefits: Educate yourself about the options available to your beneficiaries if something happens to you prior to retirement.
- Termination Options: Find out what choices you have if you terminate your employment prior to retirement.
- Purchasing Service Credit: Determine if you are eligible for a service credit purchase and how it may impact your future retirement benefit.
- Saving Additional Income for Retirement: Your SBCERA benefit may not be enough in retirement. Discover what other options, such as a 457b, are available to ensure you are better prepared.
Each seminar will include presentations by SBCERA and ING, the County’s deferred compensation provider.
Unable to attend? SBCERA may be able to come to you. See the section “Seminars Hosted by Employer/Departments” below.
THE 2012 PRE-RETIREMENT SEMINAR SERIES HAS ENDED. STAY TUNED FOR 2013 DATES.
Are you nearing retirement? Do you have a plan? Join us to create your plan for retirement.
If you plan to retire in the next few years, we recommend you attend a Pre-Retirement Seminar. At these seminars, we will help you prepare for the next chapter of your life and create your plan including:
- The steps to take to retire.
- Estimated lifetime benefit amounts for you and/or your beneficiary.
- Ways you can enhance and maximize your benefits and savings.
- Options for your post-retirement healthcare and benefits.
- Tools and resources you can use to prepare.
Held each fall, the Pre-Retirement Seminars are hosted at locations throughout San Bernardino County. Presenters include SBCERA, ING Financial Advisors, County of San Bernardino Benefits and Services Division, and the Retired Employees of San Bernardino County (RESBC). Seating is first come, first served. No reservations will be accepted.
SEMINARS HOSTED BY EMPLOYERS/DEPARTMENTS
Looking to host a seminar for your staff or colleagues at your location? SBCERA is happy to come to you. With appropriate management approval, SBCERA will work with you to plan and schedule a seminar at your location on a date that works best for you. Seminar options include:
Brown Bag Mid-Career Seminar – Held during the lunch hour, staff can bring their lunch to the seminar. This seminar is presented by SBCERA only. The seminar will cover the basics of SBCERA and our retirement benefits. Topics include: calculating your retirement benefit, when you can retire, things to consider while working, death benefits, Social Security and service credit purchases. Length: Approx. 1 hour.
Off-Site Mid-Career Retirement Planning Seminar – Presented by SBCERA & ING, topics are the same as above. In addition, ING will present the Defined Contribution retirement services they provide. Length: Approx. 1 hour & 45 minutes.
Mid-Career/Pre-Retirement Seminar – Presented by SBCERA only, topics are similar to above including additional topics such as your options at retirement, working after retirement and preparing for your retirement. Length: Approx. 1 hour & 15 minutes (have more time? We can invite ING, and/or the County of San Bernardino Benefits and Services Division. Each additional speaker will extend the length of the seminar).
Custom Seminars – Have a topic your colleagues are particularly interested in? SBCERA will host or alter a presentation to best meets your needs. Topics could include: purchasing service credit, options when employment terminates, death benefits, reciprocity, choosing my retirement date, etc. In addition, we can alter the above presentations to meet your needs. Length: Approx. TBD depending on topic and/or your availability.
To request one of these seminars, contact us at (909) 885-7980 ext. 329 or Communications@SBCERA.org.